The carpal tunnel is the passageway in the wrist and consists of the arching carpal bones (eight bones in the wrist) and the ligament connecting the pillars of the arch (the transverse carpal ligament). The median nerve and the tendons that connect the fingers to the muscles of the forearm pass through the narrow tunnel.
Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs when the median nerve is compressed because of swelling of the nerve or tendons or both. The median nerve provides sensation to the palm side of the thumb, index, middle finger, and the inside half of the ring finger. It also gives power to, or innervates, muscles in the forearm and hand that allow a pincher grasp (the ability to grasp an object between the thumb and forefinger). When this nerve becomes impinged, or pinched, numbness, tingling, and sometimes pain of the affected fingers and hand may occur and radiate into the forearm.
While there are many possible causes of carpal tunnel syndrome, the vast majority of people with the condition have no known cause. Any condition that puts pressure on the median nerve at the wrist can cause the syndrome.
Carpal tunnel syndrome typically starts gradually with a vague aching in your wrist that can extend to your hand or forearm. Common carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms include:
- Tingling or numbness in your fingers or hand, especially your thumb and index, middle or ring fingers, but not your little finger. This sensation often occurs while holding a steering wheel, phone or newspaper or upon awakening. Many people "shake out" their hands to try to relieve their symptoms. As the disorder progresses, the numb feeling may become constant.
- Pain radiating or extending from your wrist up your arm to your shoulder or down into your palm or fingers, especially after forceful or repetitive use. This usually occurs on the palm side of your forearm.
- A sense of weakness in your hands and a tendency to drop objects.
Homeopathic treatment for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Homeopathy can be considered a good alternative to the use of steroid in most cases. It is recommended to start with homeopathy before option for cortisone.
- It can offer great control in pain and stiffness, providing a substitute to painkillers. Homeopathic medicines are safe and do not have side effects what the NSAIDS have.
- There are no side effects to homeopathic treatment.
- Timely homeopathic treatment can prevent the use of surgery.
Date: 4th Feb, 2014:
World Cancer Day
Cancer is a leading cause of death around the world, according to WHO, which estimates that 84 million people will die of cancer between 2005 and 2015 without intervention. Read More
Date: 14th March, 2014:
World Kidney Day
World Kidney Day was first celebrated in 2006, and from that date on, the world still celebrates this world day with a different theme and certain massages every year. Read More