Gastritis is an inflammation, irritation, or erosion of the lining of the stomach. It can occur suddenly (acute) or gradually (chronic). Acute gastritis maybe characterized as erosive (damaged areas where mucosal cells are disrupted or missing) and non-erosive. Chronic gastritis is determined by histopathology (appearance of the gastric mucosa).
Gastritis can be caused by irritation due to excessive alcohol use, chronic vomiting, or the use of certain medications such as aspirin or other anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like Ibuprofen etc. It may also be caused by any of the following:
- Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori): A bacteria that lives in the mucous lining of the stomach. Without treatment the infection can lead to ulcers, and in some people, stomach cancer.
- Pernicious anemia: A form of anemia that occurs when the stomach lacks a naturally occurring substance needed to properly absorb and digest vitamin B12.
- Bile reflux: A backflow of bile into the stomach from the bile tract (that connects to the liver and gallbladder).
- Infections caused by bacteria and viruses.
- Stress caused by severe injury, illness, or surgery
- Autoimmune disorders
If gastritis is left untreated, it can lead to a severe loss in blood and may increase the risk of developing stomach cancer.
Symptoms of gastritis vary among individuals, and in many people there are no symptoms. However, the most common symptoms include:
- Nausea or recurrent upset stomach
- Abdominal pain
- Vomiting blood or coffee ground-like material
- Abdominal bloating
- Loss of appetite
- Black, tarry stools
- Burning or gnawing feeling in the stomach between meals or at night
Left untreated, gastritis may lead to stomach ulcers and stomach bleeding. Some forms of chronic gastritis may increase your risk of stomach cancer, especially if you have extensive thinning of the stomach lining and changes in the lining's cells.
Homoeopathy can give absolute freedom from recurrent attacks of dyspepsia and flair ups of gastritis. One of the biggest advantages of starting with homoeopathic treatment for gastritis is that the medicine is safe and gives no side effects. It is recommended that if your gastritis is as a result of recurrent use of NSAIDs that you have to take to get relief in your recurrent and chronic joint pains or headaches or backache, then you must start treatment for such joint pains along with treatment for gastritis. Homoeopathy can give you pain free life with its most effective medicines on your chronic and recurrent joint pains. Necessary life style changes are must along with homoeopathic treatment to get maximum benefits out of homoeopathic treatment for gastritis.
Date: 4th Feb, 2014:
World Cancer Day
Cancer is a leading cause of death around the world, according to WHO, which estimates that 84 million people will die of cancer between 2005 and 2015 without intervention. Read More
Date: 14th March, 2014:
World Kidney Day
World Kidney Day was first celebrated in 2006, and from that date on, the world still celebrates this world day with a different theme and certain massages every year. Read More